Sunday, May 17, 2009

Starclimber

Once again Kenneth Oppel takes his reader on a wild ride in his latest and possibly last :( installment in the Matt Cruse, Airborn series.

This book covers the race to reach beyond our Earth's atmosphere. Outer space. There is a new vessel- The Starclimber- that is designed to take people out into space. Kate de Vries has been given an invitation to come aboard, but Matt Cruse has to compete with other men trying for the same position. He has to go through intense training, and every day the men are competing for a spot aboard the ship. Matt is desperate to go, but there are so many other men. The chances of being chosen are very slim.

If he does end up making it on the ship, the types of adventures waiting in space are unknown. Space has not yet been explored before and what is waiting up there is still yet to be discovered.

There is also another conflict. After being able to see each other continually in Paris, Matt and Kate are back home, and having difficulty getting together often with Kate's parents around all the time. As well, Kate's parents won't stop bugging her, telling her it is high-time she went off and got married, but they would never let Kate marry someone like Matt, who is from a completely different social class...

Oh my gosh! This book was amazing! Also what was really cool about this book was how many surprises there were! I am not usually very easy to surprise when it comes to books, but in this book, I was surprised multiple times! It was crazy! Also, the book was just so captivating! I read it all in one sitting, and when I finished I was jumping up and down with joy because of how good the book was. Then I was really sad when I realized this might just be the last book. I really hope this is not the last book, but if it is, it was a phenomenal end to a phenomenal series.

5 comments:

fmride3397 said...

Sorry this one took me so long to write. Haha- I stared it in like March or something.

Carly said...

LOVED your review-- super duper job! Only one question: what's you're rating? I would rate it a 9.9... cuz I absolutely LOVED IT! Such an amazing book; so compelling and magical. I advise everyone to read this series (cough cough LOVES to read). Anyhow, perfect job, fmride3397! :)

Carly said...

PS- I'm so glad you posted these reviews in time for the blogger party! :P

fmride3397 said...

I would rate it anywhere from a 9.9 to an 11! :) It was incredible!

Ari's Girl said...

Wow, this book was amazing! I loved it and would also rate it a 9.9 or a 10! Great review! You gave enough without giving it away!